Welcome

Welcome to the (un)official site for science-fiction and fantasy writer Bryan R. Durkin!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Darkness

Two things on the agenda today.

First, just sent out another query letter for Kricket's Song, the third in this most recent round of querying. The current tally is now waiting on 2, Form Reject on 1. If you're ever curious about how many rejections I've gotten and number of query letters currently still out, you can check my tall on the right side of this blog, under the "Active Projects" tab.

Second, I'd like to introduce a new project I'm working on, tentatively titled Darkness. It would probably be most accurately classified as dark military science fiction. Think of the movie Pitch Black crossed with Halo and you'll get the feel I'm aiming for. The idea has been bouncing around in my head since 2008 at least, but I'm finally starting to flesh out characters and plot for it. I'm not ready to give away all the fun details, but I'll share a rough draft of the log line or "pitch" I have for it so far:

"After murdering her commanding officer, a decorated Marine veteran is shipped to a prison planet where her violent fellow inmates aren't the only threat. The military's most covert project is based on her new home world, and the planet itself guards a terrifying, bloodthirsty secret."

The overarching themes I'll be dealing with through the plot involve why we fight, how we deal with the darkness inside us and around us, and why we cling to our ideals even when real life seems to have shown us how pointless those ideals are. These themes are inspired by some of my real life experiences, as well as my imagination just running wild.

That's it for today! Thanks for having a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment