Welcome

Welcome to the (un)official site for science-fiction and fantasy writer Bryan R. Durkin!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Shameless Self Promotion... Again

So it came to my attention that, while I've talked a lot about my writing, I haven't actually offered much proof as to whether or not I can actually write. And while it's up to the reader to ultimately decide whether or not an author is good, the burden of proof lies with the author.

You may recall a few posts back, I posted a link to my fan fiction on fanfiction.net. While that will certainly give you a taste of my writing, it's important to note that all those pieces were purely just for fun and skill building, and none of them went through any sort of professional editing or publishing. Further, unless you're skilled enough to get a contract with a company that owns the rights to those works, you'll never make any money publishing fan fiction.

In thinking about that, I realized I haven't shown off my one piece of professional writing yet. I'd like to say it's modesty, but in reality, it completely slipped my mind. It has been seven years since I wrote it, after all.

At the end of this post, you'll find a link to a site where you can buy a short story anthology in which I published a short story, if you're inclined to spend money. If you're not, well, at least you can see I have been professionally published - although they misspelled my first name in the list of credits. Ah well.

"The Moonstone of Kadre Maryn" (hey it's fantasy, gotta have some crazy names in there, right?) is about a former mercenary who has been hired by a city under siege by an ancient enemy. Accompanied by the ruler's daughter and a few hardy soldiers, this mercenary sets out in search of a fabled moonstone which will restore the city's magical defenses. Along the way, he will have to battle mythical foes to reach his objective.

I'd like to think my writing has progressed quite a bit since then. But hey, it's my only professional credit to date, so I'm not going to hide it. Take a look and tell me what you think. ;)

Fantastical Visions II

No comments:

Post a Comment